Monday, 28 September 2026

A Lifelong Inspiration: Prof. A. Bose and My Scientific Journey

 A Lifelong Inspiration: Prof. A. Bose and My Scientific Journey

Dr Jayanta Sthanapati

Former DDG, National Council of Science Museums

 

I take this opportunity to share a brief recollection of my time as a student of Professor Akshayananada Bose. Unfortunately, many of those who worked with him for years are no longer around to share their positive experiences.

I was a research fellow at the Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science (IACS) from 1973 to 1978. After that, I transitioned into the science museum profession. My association with Professor A. Bose lasted from 1973 to 1976, so my experience working under him was somewhat limited. Nevertheless, it was a life-changing experience, and I continue to cherish those golden moments.

Prof. A. Bose (1911-1997)

In 1972, India celebrated the significant milestone of its Silver Jubilee of Independence. The IACS organised a series of popular science lectures featuring eminent scholars from the institution. As a final-year M.Sc. physics student at Jadavpur University, I eagerly attended two of these lectures. One particularly memorable lecture was delivered by Professor A. Bose, titled "The Fascinating World of Cryogenics." This lecture, which included a remarkable live demonstration, left a lasting impression on me and deepened my interest in low-temperature physics.

In 1973, I was awarded a Junior Research Fellowship in the Department of Magnetism at the IACS. The interview board was chaired by Prof. A. Bose, who was the Head of the Department at that time. I joined the Magnetic Resonance Group headed by Dr Arun Pal and the Cryogenics Group, under the leadership of Prof. Bose. The other members of the Cryogenics Group included Dr Arun Pal, Dr Dipti Pal, Mr Anil Ghosal, and Mr Chittaranjan Maity. At IACS, we had a Liquid Hydrogen Liquefier. My initial task involved developing a Liquid Level Controller, which I successfully designed and implemented.

In 1974, I published my first research paper titled “An Automatic Cryogenic Liquid Level Controller” in the Cryogenics Journal. Prof. A. Bose was the first author, and I was the second author, along with two other authors from our group. This marked a significant milestone in my early research career. In 1975, Prof. Bose founded the Indian Cryogenic Council (ICC). Other notable individuals who played a role alongside him included Prof. S.K. Dutta Roy, Dr A.K. Pal, and Dr P. Sengupta. That same year, the ICC organised the “First Symposium on Cryogenics” at IIT Kharagpur, which greatly expanded my understanding of the field. The second and third annual symposiums were held at NPL in New Delhi and IIT Madras. I had the privilege of attending all three symposiums with other members of Prof. Bose’s Cryogenics Group at IACS. As junior scholars, we interacted with many luminaries in cryogenics, including Prof. V.G. Bhide, Prof. S.K. Dutta Roy, and Prof. R. Srinivasan, who had a profound influence on my scientific perspective. At NPL in 1976, alongside presenting papers from our Cryogenics Group, we organised a comprehensive graphic and photographic exhibition titled “March Towards Absolute Zero.”

In 1976, during the centenary year of IACS, I became a Senior Research Fellow of the CSIR. It was a year marked by our significant work, and our efforts were recognised when the ICC awarded us the A.N. Chatterjee Memorial Medal for the best work on cryo-instrumentation in 1976. [Image attached]

I earned a PhD in Physics (Science) from the University of Calcutta, for my research in solid-state physics at the IACS. Additionally, I obtained a PhD (Arts) in History from Jadavpur University for my thesis titled “The Impact of the Second World War on the Studies of Magnetic Resonance.”

During my time with Prof. Bose, which lasted just over three years, I found him to be down-to-earth. His clear guidance and encouragement made me feel valued, fostering gratitude and respect among my peers.

In 1978, while still a Research Fellow at IACS, I accepted a position as Curator B (equivalent to a CSIR Scientist B) at the National Council of Science Museums (NCSM). I informed Prof. Bose during our meeting at his office at Jadavpur University that I would be leaving IACS. He expressed his reluctance for me to go but also acknowledged that working at a science museum would be a beneficial opportunity, emphasising the need for academics and research-minded individuals in that field. He advised me to work there with utmost sincerity, assuring me that I would succeed in that profession. Ultimately, I retired from the National Council of Science Museums after 33 years, serving as Deputy Director General (DDG), the second-highest position in the organisation, for three years.

The lessons I learned from my association with him have been a guiding force in many aspects of my life.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment